About Me

My photo
Victoria, Australia
I am an author of Young Adult Fiction books. I worked as a teacher in the Pacific Islands for seven years. Whilst in the Solomon Islands I taught PSSC English before the ethnic tension in 2000 forced a change of plans. I love Pacific literature, art and music. You can find me on Facebook at Beth Montgomery Author.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Counting the Stars by Gavin Bishop

Counting the Stars (Random House, 2009)
   Counting the Stars is the latest book of Maori Myths from talented author illustrator Gavin Bishop. His simple yet effective style is maintained in this book with terrific, if sometimes scary, drawings. I must admit the picture of Kae sleeping with two pieces of paua on his closed eyes was alarming.  However Bishop's bold, broad strokes depict Maori designs wonderfully. 
   Again some pages are quite dark and gloomy, particularly in the creation myth at the start, but for the most part the pictures are colourful and busy and had my kids talking.
   There are four myths in this book and my favourite was 'The Battle of the Birds'. After reading Skydancer by Witi Ihimaera, this story was like an old friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment