About Me

My photo
Victoria, Australia
I am an author of Young Adult Fiction books. I worked as a teacher in the Pacific Islands for seven years. Whilst in the Solomon Islands I taught PSSC English before the ethnic tension in 2000 forced a change of plans. I love Pacific literature, art and music. You can find me on Facebook at Beth Montgomery Author.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Riding the Waves: Four Maori Myths by Gavin Bishop

Ridning the Waves (Random House NZ, 2006)
Riding the Waves is the second in a series of picture story books for very young children by author illustrator Gavin Bishop.
   The four myths are portrayed by Bishop's clear but effective style. His figure drawings are well defined in black and ink washes fill out the background colour. The effect can be quite dark on some pages and gives pictures a muted feel. 'Maui finds his family' had this appearance. But on other stories with brighter spreads the colour is vibrant and fluid. 'Hatupatu and the Birdwoman' has this appeal.
   The stories are related simply with plenty of dialogue.
   My favourite was 'Maui and the Godess of Fire'. Even small details like Mahuika's fiery fingernails are depicted. The red ink stretching across the pages evokes the image of spreading fire perfectly.
  This book is a great one to read to your pikininis before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment