About Me

My photo
Victoria, Australia
I am an author of Young Adult Fiction books. I worked as a teacher in the Pacific Islands for seven years. Whilst in the Solomon Islands I taught PSSC English before the ethnic tension in 2000 forced a change of plans. I love Pacific literature, art and music. You can find me on Facebook at Beth Montgomery Author.

Friday, October 21, 2011

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Life of Pi
(Cannongate, 2002)
With the tragic news of a number of Bengal tigers being shot yesterday in a bizarre private zoo break-out in America, it brought to mind how dangerous these animals can be. Which made me think of a delightful sea-faring story of survival and courage called Life of Pi. I have to say this is one of the strangest plots I've ever come across, but oh boy, what a tremendous story!
   Life of Pi is about a young Indian lad adrift in a vast ocean in a lifeboat. Perhaps that doesn't seem remarkable, but the odd complication to this story is that the hero, Pi, has to share the boat with some exotic animals, the most formidable being a large tiger called Richard Parker. Pi's efforts to stay alive are funny and ingenious. His knowledge of animal psychology saves his life on many occassions. Although Pi manages to feed himself with a few turtles over his time at sea,  he is always aware of the hungry tiger only metres from where he sleeps.
   I have to say this is one of the best books I have read in recent years. The humour is ever-present and I was amazed at how Martel manages to keep the story alive in such detail with so few characters interacting. I have heard that Life of Pi will be made into a film soon. I hope it does a good job of depicting the novel. This book won the Man Booker Prize in 2002 and has sold millions of copies. It's one of those modern classics that is well worth trying. It would be suitable for older students who have a good grasp of English. I have to give it five stars. It's just brilliant!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment