About Me

My photo
Victoria, Australia
I am an author of Young Adult Fiction books. I worked as a teacher in the Pacific Islands for seven years. Whilst in the Solomon Islands I taught PSSC English before the ethnic tension in 2000 forced a change of plans. I love Pacific literature, art and music. You can find me on Facebook at Beth Montgomery Author.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Legends of the Cook Islands by Shona Hopkins

Legends of the Cook Islands (Penguin, 2010)
This picture story book is just beautiful. The illustrations by Bruce Potter are detailed, colourful and realistic. They appear to be done in coloured pencil and ink, but I'm no expert at this. His depiction of faces and his figure drawing in general is very good.
   There are eight stories all together and some of them have links with Maori legends. My favourite stroies were 'Ati and the Water Fairies' and 'Tangiia and the Sea Turtle'. The story about the stolen mountain called Maru was also a good one.
   Whilst reading to my children some of the polynesian names and words were hard to get my tongue around but there is a glossary in the back to help with comprehension. The text is simple and clear but doesn't talk down to readers. I found this a good one to read to my pikininis and they loved the pictures of whales, sharks and turtles.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds a great book - one that my kids would enjoy. We recently read Myths and Legends of Aotearoa and had a similar experience with the pronunciation :-) I blogged about it here.

    I've just discovered your blog and am enjoying reading it - thank you. Now to get hold of your books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear from you. It's nice to have a follower so far afield as the UK. I'll have to explore your blog in more detail. We seem to cover some similar ground.

    ReplyDelete